Thursday, August 18, 2011

Craigslist: Go-to spot for real estate and rental scam artists?

I recently received this email from one of the Realtors in my office: "FYI


FELLOW AGENTS, PLEASE BE AWARE !


My ads for a rental listing, have been scammed!


I have a lease property in Sherman Oaks, and it is at $3,250 per month.


Scammers have advertised the property on Craigslist for $1,500.


They say the the tenant just has to mail a check for $3,000 and they will mail them the keys.


If you call the scammers, they say that :


"the Real Estate Agent has priced the home too high,


and all I want is $1,500 per month, so let's bypass the agent...."


They are also sending out emails to people in Los Angeles, saying that they are the owners, and using the owner's name.


So before we represent a tenant and rent out a property, maybe we should check out the owner's ID.


People are knocking on the door of the house every day wanting to get inside to see this well priced home...


I have had over 25 people call me this week about renting the house for $1,500 per month."
In response, another agent emailed this:
They have been taking my for sale listings and posting them as rentals the same way. Also, if you have a vacant property don’t list it as vacant in the MLS or post pictures showing it as vacant. They are targeting these homes and breaking in and stealing the appliances and in one case all of the copper plumbing from under the house.
I won't be posting anything else on Craigslist!

No comments:

Post a Comment